Updated September 2021
We are committed to protecting the privacy of all persons whose personal information we handle or process. The following policy outlines how we collect, use, share, and safeguard your personal information.
As used in this notice, terms such as “we”, “our”, “UMe” and “Company” refer to the UK operations of UnderwriteMe Technology Solutions Limited.
UMe primarily acts as a processor to facilitate the provision of underwriting decisions and allow an Insurance Provider to determine the terms on which they can offer you your selected coverage.
Where we get information from
We are passed health and lifestyle information by your Insurance Provider, who uses our technology in their decision making to determine if they can provide you with your desired insurance.
What information we collect
We may collect, store, and use the following kinds of information:
- • notes and reports about your physical and mental health and any treatment and care you have received or need, including about clinic and hospital visits and medicines administered; and
- • information relating to your occupation, lifestyle and financial circumstances.
What your information is used for
The information we receive will only be used for the following legitimate purposes:
- • to provide your Insurance Provider with an underwriting decision to enable them to process your insurance application. This sharing and use is done only where the Insurance Providers have confirmed to UMe that they have the right to process your information in this manner and that such processing is necessary for our and the Insurance Provider’s respective legitimate interests.
- • Sharing within our company group for other business activities and operations relating to our underwriting business: e.g. statistical analysis (using anonymous data) to refine our group’s services, sharing with other third parties where required by law, regulatory requirements or for the prevention or detection of crime
Who we share your information with
UMe share information within our company group for statistical analytics purposes to improve our group services, this information is always anonymous to protect your privacy and is never used to make decisions about you or any other individual person.
Finally, we are legally required to share your information with law enforcement agencies and the data protection regulator, if requested.
How we keep your information secure
Any personal information is located on servers within the US and your anonymised information may be located on servers within the US, the European Union or the UK. We make sure your information is stored and shared safely. Our safeguards include ensuring that your information is only held on secure servers, encryption, firewalls, access controls and separation of duties.
How long we keep information for
We retain your information for as long as is necessary for the processing purpose(s) for which the information was collected, and any other permissible, related purpose. The retention period for personal information is determined by your chosen Insurance Provider on whose instruction we will anonymize any personal information.
Your rights regarding your personal information
Your right to access information
You have the right to access any personal information that your Insurance Provider, and third parties acting on their behalf process and store. As you Insurance Provider is the controller of the personal information and determines its use and retention, we would advise contacting them directly in the first instance.
Under certain conditions, you may also have the right to:
• request deletion of any of your personal information that we are no longer legally entitled to retain
• object to any processing of your personal information unless the reason for undertaking that processing outweighs any prejudice to your data protection rights
• restrict how your personal information is used whilst a complaint is being investigated
Your right to complain to the UK Information Commissioners Office
If you are not happy with our use of your information, or if you believe us to be in breach of our data protection obligations, then you have the right to complain to the UK Information Commissioner’s Office.
UnderwriteMe Technology Solutions Limited is registered in England and Wales under registration number 09170324 , and our registered office is at: UnderwriteMe Limited, Level 7, Tower Bridge House, St Katharine’s Way, London, E1W 1BA, United Kingdom
Our principal place of business is at:
The Monument Building, 11-19 Monument Street, London EC3R 8AF, United Kingdom
If you contact us directly we will pass on the correspondence to your Insurance Provider to handle the request, as per the terms of our contract with them.